Out of India, but not out of posts!
15.05.2012 - 17.05.2012
I haven’t been posting much and I’m sorry about that, but research has been taking its toll on my time, and then packing, and then we were in a beautiful guesthouse in the mountains without Internet.
Here’s a general view of what I’ve been doing and how the next couple weeks will work out:
- May 12-15: End-of-program retreat at a guesthouse up the mountain from McLeod Ganj. Hiking, reminiscing, feelings.
- May 16: Fly out of Delhi at 2:35 a.m. Currently in Hong Kong
- May 17-29: Australia time!
- May 30: Arrive back in NJ
- May 31: Birthday!
- June 3-ish: Back to Swarthmore, start work in the linguistics department on 6/4.
- August 1: Research paper for Emory due.
Unfortunately, this schedule means that I’m going to be somewhere over the Arctic while Swarthmore’s Commencement is going on, the first and only as a Swarthmore student. : ( But still, three continents in two hemispheres (either way you slice it) in two weeks! And a lot of data processing for my paper—as of this writing, I have 98 interviews (though that may be it), each with roughly a hundred words to deal with… but that’s another post.
Speaking of posts, I’m thinking of putting together posts on the following topics to give me something to do on the plane and after. Here are some ideas I’ve been stewing over, and I’m happy to take suggestions:
- Food, glorious food!
- Research process/mishaps/shenanigans
- Interesting flora and fauna
- Outdoor excursions
- Tibetan Politics & Religion
- Visiting His Holiness the Karmapa (!)
For now, though, I enjoyed a remarkably quick ride back to Delhi in a solo taxi (the only way to make the times work) with a Tibetan driver who unfortunately didn't speak much English, and just sat next to a wonderful Indian (Punjabi) fellow who's returning to Vancouver, his home base for the past 28 years. It feels like each layer of the communities I've been in is sending someone after me to see me off and I'm enjoying it. I also enjoyed flying into Hong Kong on a relatively clear day and looking out at all these little bits of city surrounding green mountains/hills strewn along different islands and peninsulae.
I'm so excited to see my folks in Australia! This is going to be great.